Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Friday, April 10, 2009

Wowy!



Well now I know what a bear feels like after waking up from a long siesta (hibernation is what they call it). But here in Soledad everybody siestaing:). I'm going to do a little review of what has been going on in my life as an endurance athlete. After my race in May of last year I was so tired physical from the past six years of training real hard. Was it to hard? I really don't know if it was to hard. Or maybe i just don't want to believe that because what I was doing was something I enjoyed doing so much. Weather it was biking ruining or swimming it was something I have grown to love. The feeling of your heart pumping, hair in the wind or the water flowing across your body was nice. I will admit I did it to much and to often without much of breaks and what happened after may was the price I paid for it, major fatigue, deep fatigued in my body. My mental state always bounces back real fast. I can remember waking up countless times and feeling that feeling of going out and hammering 100+ mile bike ride but getting only to get an hour or so into the ride and having to call for rescue. And even before my rescue came I was walking of the bike. So as a good compulsive addict person I am I would not give up. I tried eating more, eating less, more vitamins, less vitamins, more sleep, less sleep, more sex, less sex. I was trying it all. I was not giving into the idea the I worked to hard. The only real obvious reason for my fatigue. Nope not me! As you can see I tried everything bu rest, sleep, and a mental break. But after every try I came up with the same results. I hear all the time athletes taking months or weeks of in winter or after the season but not me. I was so highly motivated to keep my fitness and try to be faster. I had some great results in the last six years. I'm proud of myself from going from 240 lbs 8 years ago to wining my first attempt at a 24 hour race less than three years. Then winning 2006 age group 24 hours world champion in Georgia. I even won my first Ironman attempt. I have had great success. So to really question my process that I was doing is a little quationable for me. I always think in my mind well it worked then why not know? Is it age? Probably. But as I fought this for months I did take a break. I rode some, ran and swim but nothing like I was doing. Maybe 3-10 hours a week if I was lucky or felt like it. I was just taking it day by day week by week and month by month. I knew in my head I wouldn't be able to keep that pace of training for ever but wouldn't change it for nothing. The memories I have are price less. I'm doing so much better today than yesterday and getting stronger and faster by the day. I feel the long rest period of 7 months was just what I needed, well I think i will have to weight and see after some racing. But here am am doing still trying to figure out a good amount of hours to train and still be physically sound. I'm sure it wont be as much as before but I think I will be a lot smarter about it. Because I know deep down you cannot get fast without pain and hard day's and weeks, just impossible. I did start training in January but nothing hard at all. I always here you think its tough to train fast, then try training slow. That was tough! To train slow, keep the heart rate down and the distance to a minimum. I hope it works. Well I do know thru the hole peeking processes you cant be fast all the time, at least that I do know and have experienced. Over my health and life is good. What an experience though!

Yes the retaining wall in my back yard is up and looking pretty cool! I will post a pick later. That's what I have been trying to do to fight of the urge to train so much. Looks like my shed and lawn won't go in for a while. Cost reason's. But its a process and to do it right will take some time.

Right know I'm trying to get ready for Sea Otter as long it doesn't rain on race day I will to it and then decide if I will 24 hours of cool the first weekend of May and will depend on work or lack of work. I have been training like I am going to do the race but not a 100% committed right know. Also would like to do the hole series. Jim Northey puts a great race and know he's got a hole series of awesome endurance races in really cool places. If you ever did one of his races you definitely would not be disappointed at all. I guarantee it!

I have to go for know and decide were to ride today. Looks like the sun is out but chance of rain. Then of to work tonight.

2 comments:

Jesse Palmer said...

Hope to see you at Cool. I'll be trying my first 24 solo :)

Amanda Sevall said...

I hope I can make it also. Good luck on your first 24 hour race. Your going to love it!

Brian