Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Wednesday, August 02, 2006

24 hour National Race report

I haven't been posting lately. It's always weird when tapering for my big races. I just seem just as busy or just don't feel like doing much at all. The race was on Saturday July 29th in Wausau Wisconsin. This was my first race out of state for Amanda and I, so there were a lot of first. Like shipping both bikes, gear, tools, clothing. It was a lot of stuff. I decided to ship one bike UPS and fly with the other, seemed my odds were better at least getting one bike there. When we got to the airport to fly out we checked in the bike, but what I found out is that they don't cover any cost if the bike is damaged. So I wont do that again.

Come race morning I was ready to get on my bike and rip it up. I was well rested and ready to go. We got to the 9 mile park in Wausau about 6:30 in the morning. Not to many other people awake yet. But we found a nice spot right next to the race course. We began to set up our area and that's when some nasty clouds starting to roll in. 45 minutes later were in a down pour for almost an hour. Luckily the guy next to use let me use his canopy to take shelter so Chuck could finish putting the bike together. By this time one bike was ready and registration was open. So I took a spin to get my stuff. The rain quit and thing were starting to dry out. Well time past and race was ready to start. So I got ready and headed over to the start line. The race started at 10 am with a short run and then jump on the bike and go like hell. After getting on my bike there was this girl who was also trying to get on her bike but was heading right for me and was going to take me out so I gave here a little push to get her going. Later I was told it looked like I was pushing her out of the way but I was not. She gave me a weird look like you A#$# %#$%. But I was just trying to help her get going with out taking me out. Well of on my first, as always everybody hit it hard and fast. I tried to stay with them but they were just to fast and I knew it was going to be a long night. And looking at my heart rate witch was 95% of my max, 170 BMP, I decided to let them go and stay with in a certain range. My plan was for this race was to be conservative intel the last 5 hours and then hammer away and start passing people. The course was awesome. A lot of ski trails with a lot of single trak that twisted thru the forrest. It was real tectnical with a lot of roots and rocks. You really had to time the rocks or you would hit them with your pedals. I can see why 29" whell ruled this course. On the 3 rd lap, like I planned was to start taking on food . I told Amanda this and to give me food even if I didn't want it. So when I cam in Amanda said here is a bagel, I said Im okay, then all off a sudden I got this look from here and the look said if you don't take this I will shove it down your throat, so with a smile I took it and ate it. I was using a 32 oz camel back and a 20 oz of Carb boom mix each lap. I tried to eat as much food as I could and drink a lot of fluids. I still felt really good going into my sixth lap. Nothing real exited happened the first ten hours. People were great out on he course, everybody was real considerate and moved over when you came up on them. By this time it was getting dark and it was time to get the lights on. Some time during the night I ended up hitting a tree with my shoulder, hurt like hell. My hands were starting hurt and everything else started to feel pain. But that's 24 hour racing and I was ready to tasake the pain to the end. Some time around 2 am I ended up with a rash around my but were it sits on the seat. I tried to lube it up with vasaline but to no avail it didn't work. So I ended up having to stand 80% of my laps standing to pedal, if it was trail was smooth enough I sit. But there wasn't much of that. I still felt okay and was ready to finish strong. I new the sun wasn't far away and if I could just make it intel then I new I would make it to the fininsh. Well around 4 am the rain clouds decided to move in and take over. Its started to rain and didn't never really quit. They stopped us around 6 am in hopes it would let up some so we could race again. About 6:45 they let us go again, why Im not sure. I came back to transition and went out again. The guys in front of me were starting to crack and I was gaining time. But half way thru my lap they stooped us and said the race was cancelled. Not only cancelled but they stooped it from 5:30 am. So I ended up with a 9th. Not bad really considering the field and only my 3rd 24 hour race. I would like to thank my one and only, Amanda for all you do for me, you were awesome. And would like to thank Chuck for coming all the way out from California also to help wrench on the bikes. I had the best pit crew ever. Thanks. I would like to also all my sponsor because I wouldn't of been there if it wasn't for all you guys and girls.

1 comment:

Amanda Sevall said...

You're welcome!!! :) I'm very proud of you and I'm more than happy to help you acheive your goals! I'm glad this trip is behind us and hopefully we left all our bad travel karma in Chicago ;) LOL I love you :)