Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Im Alive!!!!!

Another epic weekend, I'm just glad to be alive. You really never know how a bike ride will go. You might get a flat tire, or have some kind of bike malfunction. But what it usually is, it sure wasn't that way for me on Monday. I knew it would be epic, but shit! I had many thoughts on rides before but none of having to be air lifted out from the middle. I was so close to waving somebody down to rescue me on my epic journey but some how managed to make it. 140 mile total for the day. It never really dawned on me, going through what I did, and realizing when watching the Tour Or the Giro when you somebody having a bad day and could loose up to 30 minutes on a stage. Well I have a new respect for the sport know.

SO my journey started out with an hour swim. Then I drove to King City and park, jump on the bike and headed to Coalinga. Its a nice hour climb tot he top of bitterwater rd down the other side. I turned left onto hwy 25, rt onto Coalinga rd and topped at the fire station for the last stop Intel coalinga. Its awesome out there, no traffic, all along, pretty much on your own except for the occasional rancher. I get some weird looks, like what the hell is this biker doing out here. I was ticking along nicely. You past the entrance into Clearcreek, where all the motorcycles go ride. About here thing started to warm up a lot. And soon as I got to Los Gatos park I knew I was in hell. Kicked up to 90 degree's and it wasn't even 12 yet. Before the last going into coalinga I even thought of turning around but thought what the hell, Im here might as well make a day out of it. SO I get into coalinga, refuel got something to eat. One thing I have to remember is how hot it is and its three hours before the next water stop. I also go back the same way I came. I had 2 20oz bottle on the bike, 70 oz camel back, and three 1 liter bottle in the jersey pockets. Plenty you would think. So I knew I just wasn't in the best of spirits but no time or no way to contemplate anything else but keep going. It a long gradual climb but up too the mountain top flat. Going back you have 5 climbs. The first one is long and gradual rollers. Takes 1.5 hours. Well it took me all of 2 hours. In some spots I could swear it was close to 100 deg. Things just weren't good at all. I had no power, Things started to get real fuzzy and I had hours to go. The next passes were kind of comical. I never had to stop in the middle of a climb to catch my breath. By half way back I could eat, only sip on water. If I would of had cell reception for I would of definitely called for backup. So I got to the fire station, witch is 20 miles form the truck. I took an extend break here to catch up with myself. There usually some fire fighters there. There was a guy washing the fire truck. He was half way through soaping the truck when he walk over to me to talk to me. I really didn't realize it Intel later but I must of really looked like shit to have stop with soap still on the truck. It was nice to chat some with somebody though. I somehow manged to make it eventually. I remember telling Amanda I would be home by 5. Well I didn't get home until after 6:30. She was worried, I was worried, not a good day. So I'M just glad to be alive and feeling pretty good today.

I have two weeks until Laguna Seco 24 hour race, so I'm in need of some very deserved rest. I'm tired, I miss my wife, and am looking forward to our time together the next few weeks so we can get re aquatinted all over again!!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

what's up superman....ha,ha,ha. Dude,you work hard,give it all you got.I ADMIRE your dedication and hard work!It really shows in your placings.Your a role model in the way you train (while having a full time job) and an exanple to become fit!!!!I have changed the way I eat and been riding conistint (remember i said 1 belt loop?....Well IT'S 2 lOOPS NOW!!!!!!!!! I went one a ride sunday on my singlespeed I..I..I..I..I..I.. REally feel the diffrence WOW!!!!All I've done is ride..ride ..ride..no 140 miles..just ride consitintly.I feel the biggest factor in this is my diet.Although, I do "relapse"(fastfood)It's becoming less and less tempting with the progress i make..THANKS FOR YOUR ADVICE...Last but not least...GO BRIAN... GO BIRAN... GO ...BIRAN GO. KICK KICK KICK KIC AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

ed aleman said...

hey, just started a blog type ed aleman plan to keep up with performance from now on ..thanks